The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Belen Haro: preparing for the future

Sophomore+Belen+Haro+%28%2333%29+gathers+with+her+teammates+after+a+win+against+Wilson+on+January+9.+
Sophomore Belen Haro (#33) gathers with her teammates after a win against Wilson on January 9.

Belen Haro, a sophomore at South Hills High School, has paved her way onto varsity as a power forward after being on JV her freshman year. 

“I’ve officially made varsity this year, I played basketball in eighth grade and I played last year. I’ve really enjoyed playing basketball. I feel that it’s very fun. I’ve always wanted to make the team as a high school student,” Haro said. 

As this was her first official year on varsity she experienced new opportunities and met new people. She has felt that being able to connect with her teammates will help motivate her on and off the court. 

“My friends have influenced me a lot. I enjoy the memories and being able to play with my friends. Me and all of my teammates are pretty good friends and we all have a good bond,” Haro said. 

Denia Evans (10), fellow varsity teammate and best friend, expressed that Haro has made a huge impact on her team and is a great role model and leader. 

“She makes sure that everyone is in their heads and is always focused on the game, even before the game and the bus ride there,” Evans said. 

Evans shared that Haro is a great contributor when it comes to leadership. 

“She contributes a lot because she’s a leader and gets a lot of rebounds and she’s always at the right place at the right time.  We work together a lot because we play similar positions and we both get rebounds and were both team captains. I’m a center and Belen is a power forward,” Evans said.

Haro has shared that professional basketball player Kelsey Plum is an inspiration for her. Plum has influenced her to play the way she has and succeed as a player.  

“Kelsey Plum is my inspiration. She plays for the Las Vegas Aces. I feel very connected watching her play the way she does, I feel so much inspiration and she inspires me to succeed and push through while playing the game I love,” Haro said. 

Haro believes basketball seasons are much quicker and the competition only gets more intense. She is not sure what the future holds for her, but is prepared for anything that comes her way. 

“I was thinking of playing basketball until high school is over,” Haro said. “I do possibly see myself pursuing a future career or just playing later in life, I’m not too sure yet. I think that I just have to prepare myself for whatever is in hold for my future whether it’s basketball or not.”

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.