The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Football to track and field

From+left+to+right%3A+Football+and+track+and+field+juniors+Daniel+Torres%2C+Johann+Maldonado%2C+Enrique+Vizcarra%2C+Marveon+Williams+and+Messiah+Luter+pose+for+a+photo+at+a+track+meet+against+Rowland+High+on+March+12.+
From left to right: Football and track and field juniors Daniel Torres, Johann Maldonado, Enrique Vizcarra, Marveon Williams and Messiah Luter pose for a photo at a track meet against Rowland High on March 12.

After the football season ends, many football players take on other sports. Many do so to stay in shape during the offseason and track and field is one of the sports included on this list and there is a good reason for it. SHHS football players talked about their experiences with track and field and how it helped prepare them both physically and mentally. 

Enrique “Spider” Vizcarra (11) was a tight end, tackle, and defensive end in football, he has greatly succeeded and has gotten recognition as a thrower for discus. Vizcarra gave an explanation as to how he succeeded and the motives behind it.

Enrique Vizcarra throws a discus at a competition against Rowland High School on March 12.

“At the Rosemead track event I won a medal for first place in throwing, I just practiced really hard and dedicated my time to discus and actually getting stuff done, ” Vizcarra said. 

Landon Hansen (11) played as a receiver and safety for the football team and ran the 400×1, the 400, 4×400, and long jump. He explained how both track and football are similar when it comes to competition and running. He also commented on how track helped with fitness and running form.

Landon Hansen runs the 400 meter against Rowland High School on March 12.

“Track is good to learn the basics of running, to get back into football, they’re both running so like on a big play in football youre gonna need good running form, which track helps teach, ” Hansen said.

Daniel Torres (11) played as a left tackle and nose guard for the South Hills football team and threw the shot put and discus for track. Torres explained how competing in track helped him for the football season both mentally and physically.

Daniel Torres throws a discus on March 12 at a competition against Rowland.

“Its given me a real help on the competitive standpoint.  I Just wanna keep moving, keep doing stuff in the offseason, ” Torres said.

Johann Maldonado (11) played as an offensive and defensive lineman for football and was a thrower for shot put and discus. Maldonado stated the reasons as to why he and his fellow football teammates made the decision to join track. 

Johann Maldonado throws a shot put at a competition against Rowland High School on March 12.

“I think we all just want to keep ourselves in shape for the offseason so when football rolls back around we’re back and running. We’re really good when we cooperate because we already did football together so going into track was an easy transition,”  Maldonado said. 

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.