The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

2024 Super Bowl Predictions and Game Recap

John Locher
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes celebrates after winning the Super Bowl LVIII.

The Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers faced off at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas for  Super Bowl LVII on February 11. Although the Chiefs have won, South Hills students were asked beforehand about the game and who they predicted will win.

Predictions

Some believed the Chiefs were going to win. The Chiefs had been playing at their best this playoff run, trying to get their third ring in the last five seasons. “I believe the Chiefs are gonna win,” Brian Evans (10) said. “Mahomes has way more playoff and Super Bowl experience than Purdy, so I think Purdy is gonna fold under pressure.”

However, only some thought the Chiefs would win. Daniel Chavez (10) believed that the 49ers would win the Super Bowl and take home the Lombardi Trophy. “I really believe that the 49ers will win,” Chavez said. “The 49ers just have a better team overall. They have more weapons on offense, and have a top 5 defense.”

Personally, I believed that the 49ers were going to win. They tied for the best record in the NFL and have beaten down teams the whole year. However, I thought it was going to be a really tough game, the Chiefs were at the top in their game performance. Besides that Mahomes was much more experienced than Purdy, so it was interesting to see how the game would play out. Overall, I predict the game will go into overtime and the 49ers will win by a field goal. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs take it home.

Game Recap 

The game has finished and the Chiefs have won their fourth Super Bowl, beating the 49ers 25-22.  The game got off to a slow start and both defenses were working hard to hold each other. During the second quarter, the 49ers were finally able to score with a field goal and later that quarter, a 30-yard touchdown to Christian McCaffrey.

However, the Chiefs offense started to get to work. They kicked two field goals to get the score to 10-6, and then during the last two minutes of the third quarter, Mahomes threw a touchdown to receiver Marquez Valdez Scantling to get the score to 13-10.

During the fourth quarter, the Niners struck back with another touchdown to Jauan Jenning bringing them to 16-13. Kansas City was able to block the extra point which ultimately won them the game by sending it into overtime. Once the Chiefs got the ball in overtime, they were able to dominate the 49er’s defense and score a touchdown to win the game and the 2023 season.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.