The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

The mental game of swimming

Lizzy Garcia
Swim members pose for a photo during media day.

Sports mentality is often the difference between good and great athletes. It usually is the deciding factor. South Hills swimmers were asked to reflect on their mentality of the sport. 

Aleksandra Mocabee (12) said her mentality is to leave a good example to other swimmers and to show what swim is all about but also show that swim is fun. 

“Especially with being a senior and a varsity swimmer, this is my last year I have to give it all I got. I’m an example to the rest of the swimmers, especially the newbies,” Mocabee said. 

JV swimmer Lizzy Garcia (9) said her mentality is to keep pushing through and work hard to get better for the team.

“My mentality is to push myself through struggles and setbacks and to keep working at things I’m not that good at to get better,” Garcia said. 

Kairi Tran (12) said the swim environment is great and she enjoys it. She feels that being surrounded around a nice and welcoming community is great. 

“It’s very supportive and very welcoming to newcomers and returners. I see them as a second family to me because they cheer me on and help me learn,” Tran said. 

JV swimmer Dario Ruiz (9) said the swim community is very fun and beneficial. He explained his experience with his swim family. 

“It’s a very nice community everyone is super nice and that makes easier to relieve stress it really fun to do with my friends while also giving me a good work out,” Ruiz said.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.