The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Varsity boys tennis advances to CIF after so many years

The+varsity+boys+tennis+team+pose+for+a+photo.+
Xavier Godinez Slavich
The varsity boys tennis team pose for a photo.

For the first time in several years, the boys varsity tennis team has made it to CIF. After a tough season, they ended up fourth place in the Hacienda League. This was enough for the team to advance to CIF.

Varsity tennis coach, Peter Weber, believed that senior leadership and singles were the strengths of the team. Weber described getting the team motivated was tough because of the league being so competitive.

“It’s hard when you play in a league as tough as ours. We just get beat up and then we realize that when we actually play teams that are really the top of the league we had a chance and it showed in the playoffs,” Weber said.

Xavier Godinez Slavich (12) thought the season was good considering the team lost a couple matches in preseason and put up a good fight and came in fourth place still making it to CIF. Godinez Slavich talked about the team’s strengths.

“Our singles players did really well and they definitely played their part and carried their weight,” Godinez Slavich said.

Tyler Phan (12) believed the season went well and better than he expected it to be. He also commented that their singles and doubles were their strengths but he also talked about the weaknesses and challenges.

“I think the biggest challenge was definitely the fatigue. It was catching up to us at the end of season,” Phan said.

Evan Huang (12) believed that the team’s energy and teamwork were some of the team’s strengths. Huang talked about how and what they did to prepare for the season.

“We just kept doing what we were doing at the beginning and kept working in the offseason,”  Huang said.

Mathew Huang (10) believed that their season went well considering they advanced to semifinals in CIF. Huang talked about how their team was very close and worked well together. He also commented on his strengths.

“Some of my strengths would probably be my forehand and also my will not to give up,”  Huang said.

Wesley Pho (12) believed their singles team was a main strength of the season and their sportsmanship brought the team together. Pho talked about how their season went this year.

“I think us as a team, it wasn’t just an individual effort but it’s a team effort and I think that’s what made it such a good thing this season. We work really well as a team,” Pho said.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.