The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

To teach is to touch lives

Wendolyne Maldonado poses for a photo at her desk.

Wendolyne Maldonado is a Spanish teacher who has been inspiring and educating students for 24 years at South Hills High School. She believes Spanish is a beautiful language which provides access to a vibrant culture. She shared that learning Spanish can broaden connections with a world of art, literature, and ideas.

“I have always liked the language but I think I need students to know that Spanish can open doors. Our culture is so bright and colorful. We have literary writers and artists but nobody ever talks about them. If you’re going to hear it somewhere it’s going to be in Spanish class,” Maldonado said. 

Juan Contreras, a Spanish teacher at South Hills, has been working with Maldonado for 20 years. 

“She is loyal, fun, and she has inspired me to be a better Spanish teacher, and person,” Contreras said.

Junior Miranda Avendano, is a current student of Maldonado in her AP Spanish class.

“She’s very welcoming and friendly, it honestly makes it feel like a safe space,” Avendano said.

Maldonado is beloved by students and colleagues for her dedication to her students’ success and her willingness to go above and beyond for her students. She incorporates music, games, and other interactive activities into her lessons to keep students engaged and motivated.

“One of the things that sets Mrs. Maldonado apart as a teacher is how she makes learning fun,” Jessica Arellano (11) said.

Laila De La Vage, a former student of South Hills High School, had Maldonado for 3 years as a Spanish teacher. 

“Mrs. Maldonado is the best Spanish teacher who has made a big impact on my life and so many other of her students,” De La Vega said.

Maldonado recognizes that a positive learning space and building strong connections with students is important.

“What inspires me is that I learn just as much from my students as my students do from me. I like to have a strong connection with my students,” Maldonado said. 

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.