The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Preparations for the big play

WIllow Ecihen
Akhil Raj (11) learns choreography for his character, Gaston.

Students in the South Hills Drama Club are working hard to bring the well-known theater production, “Beauty and the Beast” to the South Hills stage. And while a lot is going on stage, there is much to appreciate behind the curtains. 

An actor involved in the play, Hiram Pierce (9), gives us insight into how the students practice for their performance. 

“For rehearsing, it alternates on a day-to-day basis, some days will be vocal rehearsals, where we will around the piano and learn the notes for the different songs that appear and our lines in the show. And then other days will be choreography rehearsals where we bring in the dance director, Colleen, who will come in and teach us the choreo for the different dances that we do throughout the show and it alternates. Somedays will have both, somedays will have one or the other,” Pierce said.

Sierra Cerna (12) works as the head costume designer behind the stage to bring out the best in the upcoming theatre production. 

“Usually, we brainstorm, look through the script, see what different characters need, take notes, and then do a little bit of research. Then we look in our green room to see what we already have. If we have something we can use for the show, we pull it and if there’s something we don’t have, we research and then buy it,” Cerna said.

Isabella Cowley (12) is the president of the Drama Club and the tech director for The Beauty and the Beast production. One of her roles behind the scenes includes working on the sound design. Her role as president includes running the club meetings, doing all the paperwork, and just being the main representative for the club.

“As tech director, I’m basically in charge of sounds, like sound effects, and just anything dealing with sound in the show,” Cowley said.

The curtains open on December 7 and 8. Information about ticket purchases will be available at a later date.

“We put a ton of hard work into making the dances look awesome, and hope everyone enjoys them,” Pierce said. 

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.