The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

Recap of the rap beef-Drake, Metro Boomin, Future, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole

Metro Boomin and Futures album, We Dont Trust You, start the beef between Drake and other rappers.
Wikipedia
Metro Boomin and Future’s album, “We Don’t Trust You”, start the beef between Drake and other rappers.

Disclaimer: This article features songs that contain explicit language and may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

On March 22 an album called “We Don’t Trust You” dropped, by popular rapper, Future and famous producer, Metro Boomin. People speculated that the album was directed towards Drake. This battle between many rappers and Drake would have fans anxiously waiting for their next move.

The song, “Like That” featuring Kendrick Lamar, had straightforward yet complicated lyrics from Lamar calling out Drake and surprisingly, J. Cole, making references to Drake’s “For All The Dogs” album and the song, “First Person Shooter.”

Lamar said things like, “Motherf*** the big three, It’s just big me” referring to when Cole said, “Is it K-Dot? Is it Aubrey? Or me? We the big three like we started a league,” but the response had people wondering what exactly caused Lamar to snap.

Drake has been firing subliminal shots at Lamer for his verse on “Control” since 2013, and while the feud seemed to be competitive for Lamar, Drake took it more personally.

After “Like That” had the whole world by storm, many fans of Cole would pressure Cole into dropping a song as a response. Cole soon dropped an album on the fifth of April, “Might Delete Later” and responded on the song, “7 Minute Drill” also taking some shots back at Lamar.

Cole would go on to say some harsh words about Lamar’s albums like, “Your first sh** was class, your last sh** was tragic” and then saying at the end of the song how it was a “warning shot” to keep Lamar down, but Lamar was not the one who backed down.

On April 7, Cole had a concert and shocked the world when he apologized to Lamar for his diss on “7 Minute Drill”, saying how it felt wrong, how he could not sleep, and how he was going to delete the album from streaming services.

We would not rest because soon after, Boomin and Future released another album, called “We Still Don’t Trust You” featuring a new selection of songs, with different features, surprising listeners. The Weeknd came back and insulted Drake. A$AP Rocky would show up on the album to defend his lover, Rihanna.

The Weeknd defended his “brothers” in the song “All To Myself” and how they could never get dissed, but also shoots back mentioning the infamous Drake leak. He also mentioned how he was happy he never signed his life away, referencing how in 2012, Drake almost got The Weeknd to sign to OVO Sound, but The Weeknd would ultimately choose to sign with Republic. 

A$AP Rocky was featured on the song “Show of Hands” to defend Rihanna after Drake commented about her. Drake would go on to say that “The sex was average” between them on the song “Fear of Heights.” He would also sneak diss Rocky on the song “Another Late Night.” A$AP Rocky came back making fun of Drake for still being held up on Rihanna, firing shots saying, “Ni***s in they feelings over women, what, you hurt or somethin’?” He also took direct shots back at Drake’s album, “Funny how it just came and went” saying how Drake’s album was forgettable.

Drake would follow up with a diss track of his own and that track spiraled into a bigger mess. Will this be the end of Drake’s career? Will he be able to rebound? We’ll just have to see. 

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.