The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

The wasteland hits the big screen with ‘Fallout’

Amazon Prime
Maximus (Aaron Moten) wears his Brotherhood Squire Fatigues while standing next to a Brotherhood soldier in T-60 Power Armor.

Over the past few years, the trend of video games turned television shows has become commonplace. With hits like “The Last Of Us” and “Arcane,” many games are beginning to market themselves to a larger audience, and the “Fallout” franchise is no different.

Releasing on April 10, 2024, on Amazon Prime, the “Fallout” show is set in the universe of the game series started by Interplay Entertainment and Black Isle Studios in 1997.

I am a huge fan of the “Fallout” franchise and I’ve sunk a thousand hours into the series through the various entries. When I first heard about the show, I was very excited but took it with a grain of salt believing it to be a hoax. When set photos leaked online last year, I was proven wrong.

The show occurs nine years after the game “Fallout 4” in 2296, in the ruins of Los Angeles, where Vault 33 lies. The Vault is a safehouse built by VaultTec in the years before the Great War; Vault 33 is where our main character Lucy, was born.

Played by Ella Purnell, Lucy is tasked with a mission to save her father and must leave the safety of the vault. Upon leaving, Lucy must adapt to the world around her to survive the harshness of the wasteland.

During her travels, Lucy meets Maximus (Aaron Moten), who is a soldier in the Brotherhood of Steel (A strong military force with roots in the prewar times), and The Ghoul (Walter Goggins), a bounty hunter.

As a franchise fan, I was excited to see things like Power Armor, Airships, Robots, Weapons, and more showcased across the various trailers for the show.

The show is being made in collaboration with Bethesda to ensure it fits into the universe. After being teased in the trailers, I am eager to see how they handle factions like The Brotherhood of Steel and the New California Republic.

While both factions will likely be a side plot to accompany the main plot, fans of the games will know the tension between the two groups meaning that the engagement teased in the trailers will be an action-packed sequence.

Whether this is your first time hearing about “Fallout” or you’re a fan like me, I encourage you to give the show a chance and experience a wasteland like no other.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.