The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

The beef between Kendrick Lamar and Drake continues: ‘Like That’ to ‘6:16 in LA’

The showdown between Kendrick Lamar and Drake continues.

Disclaimer: This article features songs that contain explicit language and may not be appropriate for younger audiences.

It is recommended to read this article first to understand the full story. Drake is going against artists in the music industry, such as Metro Boomin and Future, but his main focus is rapper Kendrick Lamar, as their beef has been stirring since 2013, both rappers would finally face off against each other using their songs to take jabs at each other. 

In response to “Like That” by Kendrick Lamar, Future, and Metro Boomin, Drake’s first move was to rile up Kendrick Lamar by releasing the diss track “Taylor Made Freestyle.”  This track is infamous because Drake can’t legally release it onto streaming services due to the use of AI voices of two very famous rappers, Tupac, and Snoop Dogg. After the threat of a lawsuit, Drake was forced to remove the single from social media.

A few days before ‘ Taylor Made Freestyle’ dropped, there was a leak that was supposed to be the comeback from ‘Like That’, and after ‘Taylor Made Freestyle’ dropped, the leak would also drop as a song called “Push Ups.”

‘Push Ups’ was meant to be a response to Future, Metro Boomin, Rick Ross, and Lamar and all their disses towards Drake. Drake mainly focused on attacking Lamar, specifically insulting his height. Some of the songs featured pop artists like Maroon 5 and Taylor Swift. He states, “Pull your contract ’cause we gotta see the split, The way you doin’ splits, b*t*h, your pants might rip” insulting Lamar’s label and trying to show how much money is being taken away from Lamar.

Weeks later, on the 30 of April, Lamar responded with ‘euphoria’ finally firing back at Drake. This song was six minutes long but the original diss was leaked to be 19 minutes, Lamar still got his point across within the three beat switches of the song.

Lamar decides to call out Drake for his shady actions, and progressively gets angrier as the song continues but wants to expose Drake so Lamar decides to respond calmly for the first portion of the saying, by saying, “You’re movin’ just like a degenerate, every antic is feelin’ distasteful,” and “A pathetic master manipulator, I can smell the tales on you now.” Lamar also goes on to say, “I hate the way you sneak diss, if I catch flight, it’s gon’ be direct.”

Lamar warned Drake by telling him that he’ll take it much farther than Drake ever could by stating “If you take it there, I’m takin’ it further Psst, that’s somethin’ you don’t wanna do.” He then reminds Drake how he doesn’t like the way Drake says the n-word, but Lamar would continue to warn Drake in the next track.

On Friday, May 3, Lamar dropped another diss track on his Instagram titled ‘6:16 in LA’ in the early morning leading to many shocked reactions from fans of both Lamar and Drake.

This track was meant to be a weak warning shot for Drake. Lamar would take this chance to talk about how everyone in Drake’s circle hates him and also states that he has someone from OVO (Drake’s brand) working for him. He goes on to say, “Have you ever thought that OVO is workin’ for me?”

Both Drake and Lamar still fired more shots at each other, trying to one-up each other, but Drake still had to focus on many artists like Future and Metro Boomin, while Drake was Lamar’s only target.

Both Drake and Lamar still have more shots to fire at each other. How long would this beef continue, and will it affect each artist’s legacy?

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.