Seniors vs freshmen: a first-day experience

A senior leaving and a freshman entering the gates of high school.

It’s 8:30 a.m., and she’s barely getting out of bed. She’s on her phone in bed, wasting time when she should be getting ready for school. She doesn’t worry, though, because it’s her senior year, and she got most of her credits already taken care of, so she has nothing to worry about.

Some seniors would say they already have most of their credits completed. For example, a senior by the name of Hailey Flores shared that she could have graduated last year.

“I could have graduated last year, so it was kind of just whatever. The only reason I came to my senior year is because I want to experience the senior year, like homecoming prom and things like that. So for me, it’s not really a rush to finish credits or get missing credits or anything like that,” Flores said.

Some seniors may also feel ready for their future. Senior Sophia Holling shared her confidence in going to college.

“I would say I am very confident [in being on my own] because I know no matter what, If I made these friends in high school, I could easily make new ones for college. At the end of the day, you really need to just kind of be on your own in college to grow up and be an adult. It doesn’t mean I can’t ask for help, but I do know that I will be okay, and I completely trust myself in any setting that I’ll be in,” Holling said.

Freshmen may feel different. Many freshmen, when transitioning to high school, felt very nervous. Freshman Valerie Flores shared her point of view as a freshman on her first day of school.

“I was just a little bit nervous….I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know anyone. I didn’t know the campus. But now I’m pretty good. Pretty confident,” Flores said.

A freshman by the name of Denise Duar had a similar feeling. She explained how she felt.

“I was really nervous I just like I felt really scared cuz like it’s like a bigger school with a lot more people and I didn’t really know where anything is,” Duar said.