The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

The ‘Fallout’ series did not disappoint

Amazon Prime Video

Disclaimer: “Fallout” contains violence and explicit language. Common Sense Media recommends this series for viewers 16+.

For a show based on a video game, “Fallout” was high on my interest list. As someone who has played the Fallout games, the Fallout show was worth a watch. 

On April 11 the first episode was released for “Fallout” on Amazon Prime Video. At first, I was hesitant about watching it as some people said it was “woke trash” because it did not follow the lore of the games. However, after watching the entire season I will say it definitely has some flaws but it correlates with the general lore of the Fallout universe. 

One of the main components I loved about the show is the meticulous attention to detail. From the makeup and costuming of the ghouls to how the power armor is designed it has almost every little detail that you also see in the games. The details on the actors who play ghouls are phenomenal, you can see every burn scar and can see how the nuke has affected their lives and function. There are lots of little details that you can see in the show that correlate to the games.

Another component that amazes me is the acting. You can see the actors get into character as if they are living in that reality. All the actors do a good job of portraying character development and showing how the character would think in each situation. However, I wish the main character Lucy was not portrayed as stubborn which got annoying throughout the show. I also wish Maximus was given a stronger role. 

The storyline is honestly phenomenal. There are the occasional subplots (or side stories) just like in the games. I feel that the subplots help bring life to the world around them as it shows that the main story isn’t the only thing that happens in the world. What’s nice too is the subplots don’t take up too much of the main storyline. It has a nice balance of both. 

Lastly, the music in the show has to be the best element of the whole series. It has all of the fan favorites from “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” and “Maybe” by The Ink Spots. The songs used in the show still follow the 1940-1950s vibe that is shown in the games as well. The soundtrack has many songs that were in Fallout 2,3,4, New Vegas, and 76. The show also incorporates new songs like “Some Enchanted Evening” by The Castells, “Act Naturally” by Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, and many more. In all, the soundtrack has to be my favorite part of the show. It brings back so many memories from the games. 

To wrap it up, the series is a lot better than I thought and took me by surprise. The first episode got me hooked and throughout the season it continued to stay interesting and was worth watching. In my opinion, it is worth 89.7% rotten tomatoes instead of 91%.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.