The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 16

MTV

Disclaimer: RuPaul’s Drag Race makes references to sexual innuendo and uses some strong language. Common Sense Media states that the TV series is “campy, fun, and has positive messages” and recommends it is appropriate for ages 15+. 

Season 16 of RuPaul’s Drag Race, began airing on January 5. Who will win the title of “America’s Next Drag Superstar”? My experience with RuPaul’s Drag Race started during season 15 and I think that season 16 has not disappointed viewers so far. This new season of RuPaul’s Drag Race has brought back immunity which hasn’t been seen since season five. Immunity means that if a queen wins the episode they will not be in the bottom two even if they bomb the challenge. But season 16 brings along a new twist called “Death Becomes Her” which means the winner of each premiere will get an immunity potion that they can use to save themselves or other queens from the bottom.

Some of the queens on season 16 are Sapphira Cristál, Dawn, Amanda Tori Meating, Nymphia Wind, Q, and Xunami Muse who is the drag daughter of the two-time runner-up Kandy Muse who competed on RuPaul’s Drag Race season 13 and all-stars eight.

Image of Sapphira Cristál (MTV)

The first premiere’s queens were Xunami Muse, Sapphira Cristál, Dawn, Amanda Tori Meating, Mirage, and Morphine Love Dion. Sapphira Cristál and Q are the top two of this premiere. In Sapphira Cristál’s Meet the Queens she mentions that ‘Sapphira’ is a pun for her birthstone Sapphire and Cristál is the name of her favorite champagne brand before her sobriety.

Photograph of Plane Jane (MTV)

The second premiere’s queens were Plane Jane, Megami, Hershii LiCour-Jeté, Geneva Karr, Mhi’ya Iman Le’Paige, Nymphia Wind, and Plasma. Plane Jane and Geneva Karr are the top two queens of this premiere. In Plane Jane’s, Meet the Queens, she mentions that she has always been into planes and related to Jane from Tarzan, which was how her name came to be. My prediction for this season is that Dawn, Nymphia Wind, Sapphira Cristál, and Plane Jane will be the top four, and Dawn will win the season with Nymphia Wind coming in as runner-up.

I highly recommend you watch season 16 because you can see how each queen evolves and this adds to the dynamic storyline.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.