The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

The challenges of being a student athlete

Many+student+athletes+juggle+the+balance+between+school+and+sports.+
Ritika Gupta – Amador Valley High
Many student athletes juggle the balance between school and sports.

The balance between being an athlete and being a student can be stressful for many people. Being a student athlete can take a toll on someone both mentally and physically. Many students struggle with their time management, staying organized, not getting enough sleep, facing a ton of pressure, and by overworking themselves. Three students at South Hills High School, provided us with a lens of the challenges that a student athlete faces. 

Emma Malana, a senior and holds a lot on her plate. She practices on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday with games on the weekdays, a part time job, AP classes, and she is the captain of the girls varsity soccer team. With this, the balance between school and sports has become difficult for her. However as she gets used to this new daily schedule, life becomes much easier. Emma preferably uses a to-do list to stay organized with her work. 

“I just make a lot of to-do list and write down everything that I have to finish that day,” Malana said. 

Bradley Sabosky is a sophomore and plays on the JV basketball team. He lives further away from school and does not get home until late at night due to traffic and practice. This causes him to stay up late to finish his homework. Bradley emphasizes that being a student athlete can affect a person overall. 

“Just being physically and mentally drained can take a lot of your time and effort, it’s just hard sometimes,” Sabosky said.

For many student athletes, finding balance in their schedule can be a challenge. Students can face sleep deprivation, loneliness, anxiety, and they can feel especially overwhelmed and overly stressed. Balance is the key.

Joshua Liziola is a sophomore and a triathlete involved in football, soccer, and track and field. Joshua is taking challenging classes that require extensive homework commitments. He has one or two practices everyday and depending on when practice ends, he comes home late which may result in not going to sleep until 2-3 a.m. to finish his homework. 

“It’s a lot to worry about because you have to worry about learning your plays and you have to balance school, it’s just a lot at the same time,” Liziola said. 

Being a student athlete causes many people to feel drained. Despite these conflicts, it can have a positive effect on people, like Emma Malana. Regardless of the challenges that student athletes face, this doesn’t stop Emma’s passion and love for soccer. 

“I feel like it has a positive impact on my mental health. Whatever I’m going through in school or at home, or in my relationship, I always have that one sport that is like a break from the chaos of everything outside of it,” Malana said. 

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.