The Student News Site of South Hills High

The Growl

The Growl

The Growl

BookTok books worth the read

Maisi McIntyre

Content creators from all around the world have given out their book recommendations based on songs, movies, and tropes that were uploaded on BookTok. However, are their recommendations worth listening to?

With TikTok rising, it is now used as a platform for all types of information. During the pandemic, people turned to social media as a source of entertainment and Tik Tok was one of them. Many created accounts of their own as a way to pass the time. Due to TikTok being used more frequently, BookTok was created. BookTok is a TikTok subculture in which users share short-form videos talking about their favorite recommended books with their followers.

Steph Bohrer (Youtuber- @Steph Bohrer)

From the moment BookTok was created, I was immediately hooked on what people had to say. I started reading multiple books a week that were recommended by my favorite creators. However, in my opinion, not all creators gave out the best recommendations, but Steph Bohrer by far was the most reliable. That Steph Bohrer will always give me a great read.

Steph started her TikTok career, like most people, during the pandemic. She grew overnight due to her relatability, being a hopeless romantic who got lost in fiction. People loved her TikToks so much, that she decided to continue her content on her YouTube channel. My favorite recommendation from her has to be “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It is an eye-opening fictional novel in which an old Hollywood star Evelyn Hugo, at the age of 79 reflects on the truth of her past in an interview with an unknown journalist, Monique Grant.

Photo credit Amazon

Here are some books from BookTok that are actually worth the read. 

1. The Song of Achilles” by Madeline Miller is a fictional novel retelling of the Trojan War told from the perspective of Patroclus the main character. The novel follows his relationship with Achilles, from their initial meeting to the growth of their relationship during the Trojan War.

2. “Normal People” by Sally Rooney is a book based on Marianne and Connell who are two people who became close lovers at the end of high school. As they grow up and move to college, the two struggle to make sense of their relationship and emotions for each other.

Photo credit Amazon
Photo credit Amazon

3. “Everything I Know About Love” by Dolly Alderton is a biography about Alderton’s childhood from her first kisses, and teenage drama, to her college days, trying to navigate ‘adult’ hood.

Any of these books are worth the read or worth being on the TBR (to be read) list. But if you are ever in need of a good read, BookTok is the place to be. It really only takes one good book to change your life, so give BookTok a shot.

Donate to The Growl

Your donation will support the student journalists of South Hills High. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.